Wednesday 17 September 2008

Panic?

A new Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book is being penned by Eoin Colfer. I greeted the news this morning with slack jawed bewilderment, and I am still finding it hard to get a grip of my feelings about this.

My inital emotions were of point blank fan boy anger at such an abhorrent suggestion, which curiously enough is a similar reaction that Colfer had himself when he was approached by Penguin books and Adams's widow. "My first reaction was semi-outrage that anyone should be allowed to tamper with this incredible series," Colfer stated, possibly storming out of the room on himself in indignation, before calming down and sending himself an apologetic text after realising that "this is a wonderful opportunity to work with characters I have loved since childhood and give them something of my own voice while holding on to the spirit of Douglas Adams."

And I think that Colfer has touched on the main problem I have with this sixth book. For me, Hitchhikers is Douglas Adams, all his intelligent super funny ideas that were just about reigned into a semi coherent story. There was more of Douglas in the books than there was plot. Even Arthur Dent is a thinly veiled projection of Adams.

But I must admit that I am intrigued, and I had been completely unaware of Eoin Colfer before this news. The publishers have also stated that Colfer will not be writing as Douglas Adams, which is just as well as I don't really think anyone else could imitate his style.
Despite all reservations, when "And Another Thing..." arrives in the bookshops, I will probably be beating people out of the way with my towel to get a copy. I just hope that Colfer is a hoopy enough of a frood to pull it off.

No comments: